Hey Y&R fans, every second Saturday TV Banter discusses the latest happenings and provides commentary on your favourite daytime drama. Note to U.S. readers - SPOILER ALERT: Here in Canada, I watch the show on Global TV which is one episode ahead of CBS. I will inevitably refer to incidents you haven't seen yet. Read at your own risk. If you are the curious type, though, you may prefer to discover some things in advance.
1. Well folks, I have some disappointing news to report for fans of Billy J. Miller, the actor who plays Billy Abbott on The Young and the Restless. Billy has reached an impasse in his contract negotiations with the show and he is leaving his role. He will be replaced in the New Year by David Tom, who played Billy from 1999 to 2002. David is the brother of Heather Tom who portrayed Victoria Newman from 1991 to 2003, before Amelia Heinle took over. Heather is now on The Bold and the Beautiful where she plays Katie Logan. Meanwhile, Amelia Heinle has extended her Y&R contract and will continue in the role of Victoria Newman. She, at least, will be sticking around for awhile.
I am quite disappointed that Billy Miller is departing but if I had to choose anyone to replace him, it world be David Tom. David did a great job when he had the part before. Note: In my last Y&R Report, I mentioned that there was a casting call for a character named "Josh Williams." I thought that "Josh" was a new character related to Paul Willams. Instead, "Josh Williams" was really a code name for the part of Billy Abbott.
In other contract news, you'll be seeing more of Dr. Ben Rayburn, also known as Stitch. He's signed a contract with the show. Of course, Dr. Stitch is hiding something too - the real reason that his wife and child aren't with him in Genoa City.
2. Gee, it must be nice to be Neil Winters. Neil's girlfriend, Leslie, burned some meatloaf that she had cooked up from one of her mother's recipes, No problem! Neil just emailed the recipe to the chefs at the Athletic Club restaurant and, voila, they whipped up the meatloaf for the couple in no time. Imagine if you or I contacted a restaurant and requested that they prepare a dish from one of our recipes. What do you think would happen?
3. Here's some good news if you are a fan of Tristan Rogers. According to soap writer Dan J. Kroll, Tristan will be returning to his Y&R role as Australian mobster Colin Atkinson early in 2014. The suave Aussie is best known for his portrayal of Robert Scorpio on General Hospital. In 2010, he left General Hospital to play Colin on The Young and the Restless, only to return to General Hospital in 2012. Now Y&R has him back and I am quite pleased. His return will spice up the storyline of his TV son and fellow Australian Daniel Goddard, also known as Sugar Cane Ashby. It will also mean that he will interact with Jill Abbott (Jess Walton). I used to enjoy the chemistry between Colin and Jill and I'm sure that Tristan's second coming will also add some badly needed flavour to Jill's storyline.
I only wish that Genie Francis would reprise her role as Genevieve Atkinson, Colin's ex-wife and Sugar Cane's mother. That would really be the icing on the cake. One can't have everything, though.
4. Poor Devon! What's a billionaire to do! All that money is causing him nothing but misery. Why, he even broke up with his girlfriend, Roxanne (She finally showed up). They had an argument and she told him that all that moolah had changed him. Fans, here's the real reason he broke up with Roxy. He's going to get involved with the newly reformed Hilary. He certainly doesn't like Hilary right now, nor does he trust her. That, I predict, will change. Those two are headed for romance.
5. Handyman Dylan McAvoy is at it again! Now he wants to build a doll house for Faith. Remember the cradle he made for Connor and the bookshelf he built for Billy and Victoria. Hey, whatever happened to that bookshelf?
Nick Newman does have a point. Dylan always seems to be in his face. He shows up all the time. It really bothered Nick when Fabulous Faith declared, "I want Dylan!" and gave him the cold shoulder.
6. Who is the mysterious Womack, the guy in prison with Fen? Some people online have suggested that he's Courtney's father. That's possible. After all, he did offer to get drugs for Fen, and Courtney is somehow mixed up with drugs too. That girl is definitely hiding something and that might be the answer. Could it also be possible that Womack was the one who killed Carmine? Once thing is certain. Courtney is trouble with a capital T and Noah is playing with fire. Boy, does he ever choose the wrong women!
7. What do you think about Lily and Sugar Cane and their new property? I think I know why they found a homeless person there. Perhaps it will provide the impetus for them to turn the place into a homeless shelter with the help of Devon's largesse. That way, Devon can use his wealth for a good purpose.
Here's some feedback from readers and fans:
Will Adam confess?
Will Nikki tell everyone about Dylan or will something prevent her from doing that right now?
Can Sharon become any more despicable? How would they ever be able to make her likeable again?
I guess the next few weeks will provide the answers for some of these questions!
Billy may hook up with Kelly for storyline purposes. He and Victoria are one of my favourite couples on the show and I really like them together. Until Delia's death, they were very happy. The writers have probably decided that they need some problems in order to create conflict. I haven't really enjoyed Billy Boy's character very much lately. Yes, I know he's suffered the loss of his daughter. I understand his grief and anger and guilt. I initially had a great deal of sympathy for him but now the writers have turned him into a vindictive jerk ready to take the law into his own hands. Of course, as a gun-loving American, he keeps a revolver in his closet and he's ready to hand out vigilante justice. The police take much too long to enforce the law in Geoa City. (Hey, with Paul Williams as police chief, it'a no wonder Adam has not been caught yet!).
Anyway, I miss the fun-loving, witty, humorous Billy Boy.
You ask whether Adam will confess. Remember that he did make a video of himself admitting to being the one who ran over Delia with his black SUV. Avery has the video in her possession so I think it is very likely that someone will see it. One thing is for certain. The truth about Adam will eventually come to the surface. Victor has so little confidence in the Genoa City Police that he conducted his own investigation into the matter. Not surprisingly, The Big Man has been more successful in uncovering information about the SUV's licence plate than the police. He is zeroing in on Adam.
HAIR AND FASHION
Well fans, Kyle cut his hair - at Victor's suggestion, of course. What do you think of his shorter style? I think it's an improvement. Helen from Scarborough, however, says, "Try another makeover, Kyle. It's still not happening."
BEST LINE OF THE WEEK
Jill to Victor: "I've got some advice for you, Victor. Don't count your empires before they're hatched."
That's all for now. There is much more excitement ahead in Genoa City. We're still in the November sweeps and things are really going to heat up with American Thanksgiving and Christmas just around the corner. Please remember that my next Y&R Report will appear on Saturday, December 7, 2013.