TV BANTER QUIZ #28
Roseanne is set to return to television, almost two decades since it first appeared on ABC-TV. The series, starring Roseanne Barr and John Goodman, ran from 1988 until 1997 and it focused on the working-class Conner family, It was recently announced that most of the cast will reunite for a short, eight-episode reboot in 2018. To put you in the right frame of mind for the revival of Rosanne, TV Banter presents a quiz on the show. Why not test your knowledge about this popular sitcom. Are you ready?
1. Where does the Conner family live?
A. Queens, New York
B. Lanford, Illinois
C. Lansing Michigan
D. Springfield, Illinois
E. Columbus, Ohio
2. What was Roseanne Conner's maiden name?
3. What was Dan Conner's occupation?
|John Goodman as Dan Conner|
A. Dan was a plumber.
B. Dan worked in a car factory.
C. Dan was a drywall contractor.
D. Dan was a construction worker.
E. Dan was a house painter.
4. What was the name of the restaurant owned by Roseanne, her mother Bev, her younger sister Jackie (Laurie Metcalf) and others?
A. The Lanford Lunch Box
B. Roseanne's Diner
C. The Lanford Diner
D. Roseanne's Place
E. The Lanford Eatery
5, What is the name of Dan's closest friend from high school?
6. What Oscar-winning Hollywood actress appeared on the show as Nana Mary, mother of Beverly Harris (Estelle Parsons) and grandmother to Roseanne Connor and her sister, Jackie Harris (Laurie Metcalf)?
A. Shirley MacLaine
B. Sally Field
C. Donna Reed
D. Shelley Winters
E. Shirley Jones
7. Who played the original Becky?
|The original Becky Conner|
B. Tracey Gold
C. Lecy Goranson
D. Sara Rue
E. Jenny Lewis
8. Sharon Stone had a role on an episode of Roseanne. What role did she play?
A. Mark and Becky's trailer park neighbour
B. Roseanne's psychiatrist
C. Dan's old girlfriend
D. Roseanne's cousin
E. Darlene's music teacher
9. An old comedy series was spoofed on an episode of Roseanne and some of the surviving members of the cast made cameo appearances. What was the name of the old comedy series?
A. Leave it to Beaver
B. Gilligan's Island
C. The Brady Bunch
D. Father Knows Best
E. The Partridge Family
10. Becky and Mark eloped. Where did they move after they got married?
11. Actor Steven Seagal appeared in a 1996 episode of Rosanne. Whom did Seagal portray in the episode?
A. An action movie stuntman
B. A mechanic
C. Becky's father-in-law
E. Roseanne's boss
12. Daughter Darlene and David Healy decide to get married in the season finale. The couple had a history of breaking up and making up. Over the course of the show, how many times did Darlene and David break up throughout the course of the show.
A. four times
B. five times
C. three times
E. five times
13. How was David Healy, played by Johnny Galecki, related to Mark Healy.
|Johnny Galecki as David Healy|
A. They were first cousins.
B. David was Mark's older brother.
C. David was Mark's stepbrother and they were the same age.
D. David was his Mark's younger brother.
E. They were distant cousins.
14. Roseanne is known for its Halloween episodes. What was the title of the show's first Halloween episode, shown during Season 2
A. "Ghosts and Goblins"
B. "Scary Roseanne"
C. "Night of the Living Conners"
D. "A Conner Halloween"
15. Which Hollywood actor appeared in the 1991 Halloween episode of Roseanne?
A. George Clooney
B. Brad Pitt
C. Bradley Cooper
D. Steve Carell
E. Jim Carrey
16. For several years, Roseanne worked in the luncheonette at a department store in the Lanford Mall. What was the name of the department store? (This is your bonus question. If you answer it correctly, give yourself an extra point.
17. Roseanne and Dan's son, D.J. Conner, was played by Michael Fishman. What do the initials D.J. stand for?
A. Daniel John
B. Donald James
C. David Jacob
D. Daniel Joseph
E. Darryl James
18. Did John Goodman appear in every episode of Roseanne?
A. Yes, he appeared in every episode.
B. No, His missed one episode during Season 5.
C. No, John Goodman missed three episodes during the show's final season.
D. No, John Goodman was absent for 12 episodes during Season 9.
E. No, he missed four episodes during Season 4.
19. What was the title of the two-part 9th season series finale of Rosanne?
A. "That's All Folks . . ."
B. "Life is but a Dream"
C. "Tomorrow is Another Day
E. "Into That Good Night"
20. What was Rosanne's sister Jackie's real name?
|Laurie Metcalf (Jackie Harris)|
21. Jackie had a son, Andy, by ex-husband Fred Oakland. Who played Fred?
A. Michael O'Rourke
B. James O'Keefe
C. Michael O'Keefe
D. James O'Rourke
E. Tom O'Rourke
22. The original title of the series was not Rosanne. What was it?
A. Life and Stuff
B. The Conners
C. Rosanne;s Family
E. Roseanne & Company
The Conner family resides in the fictional town of Lanford, Illinois. The house used in the sitcom is actually located in Evansville, Indiana.
Roseanne's maiden name was Harris. When the show premiered, she worked in a plastics factory.
Dan Conner was a drywall contractor.
The Lanford Lunch Box was a loose meat sandwich place owned by Roseanne and several family members. It was seen in various episodes throughout Seasons 5 to 8, beginning in 1992.
|Jay O. Sanders as Ziggy|
Dan's best friend from high school was Ziggy. Ziggy was a motorcycle rider and
first appeared in an episode entitled "Born to be Wild" (Season 2, Episode 16, Air Date: January 30, 1990). He only appeared in one other episode,"The Pied Piper of Lanford" (Season 3, Episode 25, Air Date: May 14, 1991) He helped Dan open a bike shop, Lanford Custom Cycle, and then disappeared. Ziggy was played by Jay O. Sanders. (At the beginning of Season 5. in September of 1992, Dan was forced to close his motorcycle shop. The business was failing and he needed money in order to pay the mortgage on the Conner home.)
|Shelley Winters (right) with Roseanne Barr, in an episode of Roseanne|
Academy Award winner Shelley Winters, who passed away in 2006, played the role of Nana Mary on Roseanne in 10 episodes from 1991 to 1996. Although Shelley was only seven years older than Estelle Parsons, they played mother and daughter.
Becky, oldest daughter of Rosanne and Dan Conner, was originally played by Lecy Goranson. Goranson played the role of Becky for five seasons.from 1988 until 1992. In 1993, Sarah Chaleke took over the role.
|Sharon Stone as trailer woman on Rosanne|
Sharon Stone portrayed Becky and husband Mark's trailer park neighbour. She appeared in an episode entitled "Happy Trailers" (Season 7, Episode 22, Air Date: March 29, 1995). In her memorable cameo role, Stone welcomes Roseanne and Dan to the trailer park. She wears a bad wig, a pink bathrobe and speaks with a bad southern accent.
|Bob Denver (far right) and Russell Johnson (far left) on Roseanne.|
In season five, Becky and Mark eloped and moved to Minnesota. Mark (Glenn Quinn), who worked in Dan's motorcycle shop. became unemployed when the shop closed closed down.
|Steven Seagal in Roseanne episode|
David and Darlene broke up three times during the course of the series.
David Healy was Mark's younger brother on Rosanne. Johnny Galecki, who played David, went on to portray Dr. Leonard Hofstadter in the hit CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory.. Galecki has played Hofstadter since 2007.
The first Roseanne Halloween episode aired in 1989 and is entitled "Boo.!" (Season 2, Episode 7, Air Date: (October 31, 1989). In the episode, Dan and Roseanne construct a haunted house while simultaneously trying to pull pranks on each other. Roseanne does her best to scare Dan while he is awaiting news about an important business deal.
The "Boo!" Halloween episode was nominated for an Emmy Award.
|George Clooney on Roseanne|
George Clooney appeared in a Roseanne Halloween episode entitled "Trick Me Up, Trick Me Down" (Season 4, Episode 6, Air Date: October 29, 1991). Before Clooney's rise to fame as a star of the hit medical drama ER., he played the role of Booker Brooks in 11 episodes of Roseanne from 1988 until 1991. Brooks was Roseanne's boss at the factory where she worked.
"Trick Me Up, Trick Me Down," marked George Clooney's final appearance in the series. In this special Halloween episode, Roseanne becomes convinced that a neighbour is planning a Halloween prank and her sister, Jackie, flirts with an unknown man in a moose costume.
For several years, Rosanne worked as a waitress in the luncheonette at Rodbell's department store in the Lanford Mall.
D.J. stands for David Jacob.
No. John Goodman was absent for a dozen episodes during Season 9. The only actor to appear in every episode was Rosanne Barr.
The final two-part episode of Rosanne was entitled "Into That Good Night," It was aired on May 20, 1997 and was the 221st episode of the series.
The name on Jackie's birth certificate was Marjorie. Trivia Note: For her portrayal of Roseanne's sister, Laurie Metcalf earned three consecutive Emmy Awards (1992-1994) in the category of Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series.
Michael O'Keefe played Fred Oakland, a mechanic who worked with Dan Conner. Fred married Jackie, but they eventually divorced. Their son, Andy, was born in a 1994 episode entitled "Labor Day" (Season 6, Episode 19, Air Date: March 8, 1994).
The original title of Rosanne was Life and Stuff.
* Johnny Galecki is not the only Roseanne cast member to have a role of The Big Bang Theory. Saara Gilbert, who played Darlene, has a recurring role as Leslie Winkle and Laurie Metcalf (Jackie) plays Sheldon Cooper's mother, Mary Cooper.
* The final two-part episode of the show is strange and controversial. Darlene brings home her prematurely-born daughter, Harris Conner-Healy. The family celebrates winning the Illinois State Lottery with a pizza dinner. During dinner, Rosanne reflects on each member of her family and reveals that she is writing a book and that everything that has happened is an altered version of events. She admits that she has changed whatever she didn't like about her life and family. The truth is that the Conners didn't really win the lottery and that Dan actually died from the heart attack he suffered at Darlene's wedding in Season 8. Nevertheless, sources at ABC have confirmed that John Goodman will return as Dan in the 8-episode reboot of the series next year. The network will find a way to undo Dan's series-ending death. After all, the return of the blue-collar family would not be the same without him.
* Lecy Goranson, the first Becky, will reprise her role in the 2018 revival of Rosanne. Sara Chalke, who took over the role when Goranson left, will appear in another role.