NOTES FROM JOANNE
Since there are no new Y&R episodes in the midst of this pandemic, I didn't think
there would be very much to write about. As it turned out, at least for this edition of Y&R Report, I was wrong. I found plenty to discuss. I will continue to provide you with any news available concerning COVID-19's effects on The Young and the Restless and any updates on what is happening with the show and its cast members.
Well, we continue watching throwback episodes with weekly themes introduced by various cast members. We've watched a week of rivalries - Victor and Jack and Brad, Nikki and Sharon, Lily and Hilary etc. This was followed by a theme week focusing on the Winters family. I have to say that I wasn't so keen on the rivalries week. As for the Winters family week, I enjoyed watching Neil (Kristoff St. John) and Drucilla (Victoria Rowell). Drucilla added spice to show and she and Neil made a great couple. My favourite scene is the one where they bump into each other at Newman Enterprises, where Neil is an up-and-coming young executive and Drucilla is working in the mail room. Dru, of course, drops her mail on the floor. They set eyes on each other and there is instant chemistry.
I also enjoyed the episode in which Devon is adopted. It was interesting seeing a young Brittany Hodges, a young J.T. and Bobby Marsino. J.T. was so understanding and comforting to Brittany back then. Y&R characters certainly evolve. Nikki transformed herself from a stripper to a wealthy socialite and philanthropist with several grandchildren. Brittany changed drastically, too. She converted herself from a stripper to a respected lawyer. Drucilla was originally a petty thief. Devon was once a foster child, the son of a drug addict. He became a billionaire businessman and was revealed to be the grandson of Katherine Chancellor.
Now we have a week focusing on villains. "Villains Weak" is introduced by Joshua Morrow, Nick Newman himself,. The introduction shows Josh cradling a dog, wearing a toque and sporting a shaggy beard. I've already seen the first "Villains Week" show because I watch Y&R on Global.TV. It's a 1991 episode and it features David Kimble (Michael Corbett), who was a threat to Cricket's friend, Nina Webster., played by Tricia Cast. Kimble was an evil schemer and murderer. He began romancing Nina when he learned that she had received a sizeable inheritance. Nina was warned about Kimble, but refused to listen and eloped with him. Kimble went to a plastic surgeon to disguise himself and fake his own death. He instructed the doctor to make him resemble David Hasselhoff (who once played Dr. William "Snapper Foster" on Y&R)., but the doctor carved the word "killer"on his forehead instead. David Kimble suffers a gruesome death in this episode shown.
|Michael Corbett (David Kimble)|
Other villains this week include the following:
* Isabella, who was portrayed by Eva Longoria in this 2003 episode of Y&R, before she became a big star on Desperate Housewives. Y&R will replay the classic episode in which Isabella, who is presumed dead, attempts to drown Christine "Cricket"in a bathtub so that she can have Paul Williams for herself.
* Sheila Carter (Kimberlin Brown), who tormented Lauren off and on for years. Sheila was a nurse who was was infatuated with Lauren's then-husband, Dr. Scott Grainger. A 2005 episode will be shown in which Sheila makes a surprise appearance during Lauren and Michael's honeymoon.
Longtime viewers will remember a villain known as Mr. Anthony. Joseph Anthony was a mob boss on Y&R circa 1985. Paul Williams tried to bring mob kingpin Anthony and his gang down. I would certainly enjoy seeing an episode featuring the wicked Mr. Anthony, who kept a tank filled with piranhas. In one memorable episode from the 1980s, hockey superstar Wayne Gretzky appears as one of Mr. Anthony's gangsters. It would be great to watch that episode. Another villain who appeared more recently on Y&R was Ian Ward, a devious cult leader who was expertly portrayed by Ray Wise.
So, what does the future hold for Y&R, once production begins on new shows? Will the writers introduce the coronavirus into storylines. If so, how will the pandemic factor into the lives of Genoa City's citizens. Christian LeBlanc, who portrays District Attorney Michael Baldwin, has some thoughts about that. In an interview with 4WWL in New Orleans, Louisiana, Christian's hometown. Christian stated that he is not so sure that introducing a virus episode is such a good idea, although he acknowledged that social distancing restrictions, not the creative choices of the writers, might determine whether that will occur. Christian stated the following: "When a lot of current events happen, the question (has been) whether to include them., and I think think the answer they always get is 'This is an aspirational show' as far as fantasy, and you are using this show, I think, to enter another world. People use this as escapism, so I don't know if they will include this. I don't know if they might have to include this, as far as how do you start shooting the show again when we get back if we're having to keep six feet (about two metres) away from each other?"
I'm with Christian. I'm not so sure I would enjoy seeing Nikki and Victor wearing masks and quarantined on their ranch. Many people watch soaps as a distraction, a harmless escape from realities such as the horrid COVID-19. We hear about it night and day, and we need to get away from it at times. However, as Christian pointed out, there may not be a choice. It may depend on the situation with regard to social distancing when Y&R resumes filming."
If you have any comments on Y&R, please email them to me with "Viewer Forum" in the subject line. I will be happy to publish your comments and reply to them You do not have to use your real name.
I received an email from longtime Y&R viewer Carly in Barrhaven, Ontario. Here are Carly's coments.
I have been enjoying the Y&R classics but anxious for them to start shooting new episodes. I started watching Y&R in 1981, so whatever years they show is fine with me. I record so I can fast forward what I am not interested in watching.
Most Y&R fans feel the way you do, Carly. It is understandable that they are anxious to view new episodes. That can't happen, though, until the safety of the cast and crew is assured. Two cast members, Greg Rikkart (Kevin Fisher) and Jordi Vilasuso (Rey Rosales), have contracted the virus.
Speaking for myself, I would really like to see some episodes from the 1970s and early 1980s. From my perspective,, those episodes would really be fun to watch.
Melissa Ordway (Abby Newman) sells home that she recently purchased
Variety reports that Melissa Ordway (Abby Newman and her husband, Justin Gaston (ex-Ben Rogers, Days of our Lives), have sold the Spanish-style mini-compound they purchased just this past October. It is a beautiful bungalow located in Toluca Lake, a neighbourhood in the San Fernando Valley region of Los Angeles. Melissa's husband is a musician turned real estate agent. so it is not surprising that the couple has flipped their band new home.
THE SHOW WILL GO ON! THE DAYTIME EMMY AWARDS WILL BE BROADCAST IN JUNE
I have some really good news to report. The National Academy of Arts and Science has unexpectedly announced that 47th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards will be presented in a two-hour special on Friday, June 26 from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. (ET/PT). Not only will the awards be broadcast in primetime, but they they will be broadcast on CBS. This marks the first time a major network has broadcast the ceremonies since 2011 and the 14th time that CBS has done the honours. Thank you, CBS.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, nominees, recipients and other special guests will be appearing from home, but I'm just pleased that Y&R fans and other daytime TV viewers have something to look forward to during these terrible times.
Y&R NOMINATIONS FOR DAYTIME EMMYS (some commentary from me included)
The nominations for Daytime Emmys have been announced:
* The Young and the Restless has been nominated for Outstanding Drama Series, along with The Bold and the Beautiful, Days of our Lives and General Hospital.
* Jason Thompson (Billy Abbott) has been nominated for Outstanding Lead Actor. He is up against Steve Burton of General Hospital. Steve played Dylan McAvoy on Y&R.
* Mark Grossman (Adam Newman) has been nominated in the category of Outstanding Supporting Actor. Mark is up against his Y&R castmate, Bryton James, who plays Devon Hamilton.
* Sasha Calle (Lola Rosale) has been nominated for Outstanding Young Performer. I don't know about that one. I think there are young soap actors who are more talented - Alyvia Alyn Lind (Faith Newman), comes to mind, although her role is much smaller than Lola's.
* Christel Khalil (Lilly Winters) has been nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actress.
* Y&R has also earned three nominations for Outstanding Special Guest Performer. Elissa Kapneck has been nominated for her performance as Sasha, the mother of the baby she left at Victor and Nikki's ranch. Eva LaRue (Celeste Rosales) has been nominated for her role as the Rosales family matriarch, the mother of Rey. Arturo and Lola. The third Y&R nominee in this category is Jeffrey Vincent Price who portrayed the villainous Simon Black, a criminal who terrorized Chelsea and her young son, Connor Newman. Jeffrey Vincent Price was great at the evil Simon Black. I also enjoyed the performance of Eva LaRue as Celeste. I don't think Elissa Kapneck's performance as Sasha rates with theirs.
Y&R REPORT READERS' POLL
When Y&R resumes production, do you think the writers should include the COVID-19 pandemic in storylines or just ignore it? What do you think, fans? Respond to the poll below and let me know.
That's all for now. Please remember that the next edition of Y&R Report will appear in this space on Saturday, June 6, 2020. Take care everyone and stay safe during this pandemic.