Hey Y&R fans, every second Saturday TV Banter discusses the latest happenings and provides commentary on your favourite daytime drama. Note to U.S. readers - SPOILER ALERT: Here in Canada, I watch the show on Global TV which is one episode ahead of CBS. I will inevitably refer to incidents you haven't seen yet. Read at your own risk. If you are the curious type, though, you may prefer to discover some things in advance.
As my mother would say, J.T. Hellstrom (Thad Luckinbill) had more nerve than Dick Tracy. After doing some horrible deeds, he acted as if nothing had happened. J.T. always had an edge but he had never been violent or an abuser. I just don't buy the explanation that he had a lot of disappointments and failures in his life or that he had to get back at Victor for Colleen's death. Hey, maybe he has an evil twin brother. (After all, Thad Luckinbill has an identical twin brother in real life named Trent Luckinbill). Has the evil twin kidnapped the real J.T. and hidden him somewhere? Just kidding!
I am not surprised that J.T. died after Nikki hit him with a poker in order to protect Victoria. I have always felt that Thad Luckinbill, who played J.T. was only back temporarily. He will probably return to his successful career producing movies with his twin brother.
Phyllis really caused more problems when she encouraged everyone to cover up what happened. Then she talked about hiding the body. They can't hide something like that forever and they will eventually have to face the music. She's leading everyone astray. Paul and Christine (a.k.a. The Cricketmeister) will be even harder on Nikki, Victoria, Phyllis and Sharon when they find out about the cover-up.
I think head writer Mal Young and his assistant writers have altered the personalities of too many characters. Kyle is the latest example. He was never so smug and overly self-confident. Kyle was never so slick before. I like to call him Mr. Smarmy.
So, we now know the identity of the mysterious dark-haired woman who was seen visiting Victor in his hospital room. She's Helen Wallace, the chemist Jack hired to replace Ashley at Jabot. Apparently, she is also Victor's mistress. That's another thing that has just come out of the blue.
It's obvious that the writers don't want to reunite Nick and Sharon just yet. That's why Phyllis is so adamantly opposed to Nick staying at Sharon's. Out of the blue, it seems that Phyllis hasn't completely gotten over Nick, even though she claims to be deliriously happy with Billy Boy Abbott. What's going on there? Billy has already noticed Phyllis' bond with Nick. How much will he tolerate and will he go back to Victoria if he breaks up with Phyllis? Victoria is obviously finished with J.T. and she will attract much sympathy over her ordeal.
It seems that the writers don't know what to do about Phyllis and Billy. They are too happy, so there has to be some conflict. That's why she's suddenly developed unresolved feelings for Nick. Actually, Phyllis has been getting on my nerves lately because she has been such a busybody, interfering with Chloe and with Sharon.
JUST ASKING . . . Why wasn't there a police guard in front of Victor Newman's room right from the beginning. Wouldn't you expect the police protection for a billionaire who had been attacked and had many enemies? How was the hotel in Hawaii able to inform Paul Williams that J.T. had flown back to Genoa City? Do hotels know when and where their guests have book a flight?
Kate Linder (Esther) always emphasizes that if enough Y&R fans want something, CBS will listen. She is right. Many fans were upset when the previews were removed in favour of flashbacks from previous episodes. I noticed that on Fridays's show on CBS (Thursday on Global TV in Canada), there was a preview of "Next week on The Young and the Restless." Let your voices be heard, fans.
If you have any comments on Y&R, please email them to me with "Viewer Forum" in the subject line. I will be happy to publish your comments and reply to them You do not have to use your real name.
My email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is an email I received from regular contributor CC in Etobicoke:
I have a few comments concerns and questions for you.
- I am very impressed by the way the new producers, writers etc. have storylines moving along to resolution more quickly.
- I am not too sure about how I feel about the actor who is playing Kyle, but I am quite taken by the way they have developed his new character. He will be a real villainous force to deal with as things go along. charming and sooooo sinister. Maybe Victor is his father, but then his mother (Diane Jenkins) was a pretty nasty lady back in the day.
- Makeup aside, Victor (Eric Braeden) is not looking well. He is not aging well and perhaps his vices are catching up to him. TOO MUCH TEQUILA!
- Sad what they have done to Nikki's character. However, I believe it may not be just what it appears to be. Maybe they will come up with some kind of scenario where she and Victor and/or Paul? or someone else set things up to achieve some end. Her devotion to Victor on his deathbed isn't enough to redeem her from the black mark of her relationship with Arturo. And now Victor has hooked up with the scientist hired to replace Ashley. Very Sad.
- How did J.T. end up being such a monster? I don't remember him being so mean when he was a teenager and when he was first married to Victoria. Where does Victoria go from here . . .?
- Looking forward to seeing what the outcome is for Hilary and Devon?
Well CC, you've given me a lot of food for thought. Here is my response to your comments, concerns and questions:
- Yes, the show has been moving along at a much faster pace and the storylines have been reaching their resolutions much sooner. That is good up to a point. Viewers don't want the storylines to drag on forever. Howevr, I think that some storylines have been concluded too soon and that the endings have just been slapped on. The Chloe storyline is an example of that.
- You are right about Victor (Eric Braeden) not looking well I realize that Victor has been in serious condition and he is supposed to look like a man who almost died. However, even before he fell down the stairs, he looked tired and haggard. It may be the result of Eric Braeden's lifestyle. However, I'm more inclined to think he's starting to show his age.
- I agree with you that it's sad what the writers have done with Nikki's characters. Mal Young and company should be very careful before messing with longtime characters. Fans have followed Nikki and Victor for years.
I'm not so sure that the writers can easily undo Nikki's affair with Arturo. As you pointed out her devotion to the ailing Victor "isn't enough to redeem her from the black mark of her relationship with Arturo. I don't think that a sophisticated woman like Nikki would go for a guy like Arturo. To be honest, Arturo doesn't impress me. I find him rather greasy. However, I'm not surprised that Abby is attracted to him. He seems to be more her type. After all. she became involved with that sleazy Zack.
- How did J.T. end up being such a monster? The writers decided to make him that way for storyline purposes. Where does Princess Victoria go from here? That's a good question. She's certainly going to need some time to recover from her disastrous reunion with J.T. She is going to receive much support and empathy from Victor, Nikki and brother Nick. I expect her to be restored to her lofty position at Jabot as heir to the Newman dynasty (Ashley will probably return to Jabot) I think that Victoria should wait a while before becoming involved with someone else. If Billy becomes available. she may go back to him or she may become involved with someone new.
- After all Hilary's determination to become a mother, it would be surprising if she didn't have a baby, wouldn't it? A baby will not cause Hilary and Devon to live happily ever after. That's almost impossible in soapland because conflict is needed. Hilary's character has many sides and Devon is both strongly attracted and deeply repelled by her personality.
|Daytime Emmy nominee Eileen Davidson|
The Young and the Restless has been nominated for a total 25 Daytime Emmys, along with Days of our Lives. General Hospital leads the pack with 26 nominations. Here are some highlights for Y&R fans
* Y&R has been nominated for Outstanding Drama Series.
* Eileen Davidsoon (Ashley) has been nominated for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
* Peter Bergman has been nominated for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series. He is up against Billy Miller of General Hospital, ex-Billy Abbott on Y&R.
* Three Y&R cast members have been nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series. The three women are Marla Adams (Dina), Camryn Grimes (Mariah) and Mishael Morgan (Hilary). Marla Adams is definitely the favourite in this category and she should win it.
* Greg Rikaart (Kevin) has been nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
* Cait Fairbanks (Tessa) has been nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series.
* Tristan Lake Leabu (Reed) has been nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
* Y&R has also been nominated in the categories of Outstanding Drama Series Writing Team and Outstanding Drama Series Directing Team.
The 45th annual Daytime Emmys will take place on Sunday, April 29, 2018.
Justin Hartley and Chrishell Stause to star in movie
|Justin and Christell|
Soaps.com has broken the news that Justin Hartley, ex-Adam Newman on Y&R, is making a movie with his wife, actress Chishell Stause. The two were married in October 2017. If you recall, Chrishell played barmaid Bethany Bryant for a brief time on Y&R. She also played Jordan Ridgeway on Days of our Lives and Amanda Dillon Martin on All My Children.
Justin, of course, is now a star on the hit prime time show This is Us. He is missed a great deal by Y&R viewers. However, fans can see him and Chrishell in a new film called Another Time. In the film, Justin portrays an investment banker named Eric who takes on a client named Julia (played by Chrishell). They fall in love, although Julia is engaged to someone else. The solution? Eric, who just happens to be a science and math whiz, discovers that time travel may be possible and he plans to go hack to a tine before Julia met the man she is about to marry.
The premiere for Another Time will be held at the Regency Lido Movie Theater in Newport Beach California on April 28, 2018.
CAST NOTE: Kristoff St. John will return to his role as Neil Winters this week after a leave of absence due to personal problems related to the suicide of his son. I doubt Neil will be very happy about Devon and Hilary's plan to have a baby. He will also be shocked to discover what happened to Victor.
Y&R REPORT READERS' POLL
Created with PollMaker
That's all for now. Don't forget that that next edition of Y&R Report will appear in this space on Saturday, April 28, 2018.